Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Mixing Hacks Roundup #1 - EQ

I love "best of the best" roundups.

What I'm about to show you here is a round up of the best videos I've come across for how to use EQ in mixing. I'll come back with another one for mastering.

First - here's a great hack called "The Sweep". The trick to this hack is to listen for what you don't like, find it by boosting until you hear what you didn't like clearly, then do a cut. In this video, Joe cuts some thump out of an acoustic guitar. The reason this is what he doesn't like is that it will interfere with the kick drum and bass guitar in the mix. There are other far more offensive frequencies that he boosts, but he explains why he leaves them alone. If It were me, I would have treated one of them. But it's not me, so ... enjoy!


And you've got to love the internet. Here's a different take on the Sweep. This is more of a mastering level video, but the principal is transferable to individual tracks.



And here is a couple of Hacks in action.

Now I will say that before you even get to EQ, you should have a rough balance done of your mix. Do this in MONO. Then use subtractive EQ on each track in the context of the other tracks to fix problems like muddiness, or notch our honkiness and squeakiness etc.

What is Subtractive EQ? Glad you asked


Something you need to know about is Resonant Frequencies. Removing those will really clean up your mixes!



.

No comments:

Post a Comment